Aerial Innovations of Georgia, Inc. would like to thank Benjamin C. Ridgeway for including our aerial photographs in his book documenting the history of Ebenezer Baptist Church. Ebenezer (Stone of Help) was founded in 1886 in the old Fourth Ward of Atlanta. Michael Luther King moved to Atlanta from Stockbridge, Georgia in 1918, began his three-year minister’s degree program at the Morehouse School of Religion in 1926. He married Alberta Williams that same year at Ebenezer Church. After being assistant pastor from 1927 to 1930 he assumed the duties of pastor in 1931. Reverend King, Sr. changed his name from Michael Luther King to Martin Luther King Sr. after his fathers death in 1933. In 1960, Martin Luther King Jr. became the first co-pastor of Ebenezer Baptist Church.
The Atlanta architectural firm of Stanley, Love-Stanley was chosen to design the Horizon Sanctuary. It is modeled after an African tribal meeting hut. The roof ribbing is reminiscent of African thatch. The bell tower is a weave and glyph patterned obelisk. Placement of the Horizon Sanctuary on Auburn Avenue emphases Ebenezer’s strong commitment to its urban mission as a becon of hope for all citizens of Metro Atlanta.
Copies of the ‘Images of Americia, Atlanta’s Ebenezer Baptist Church’ can be obtained from Arcadia Publishing and is in the Library of Congress (control # 2009923608)